I open my dictionary to a random page. My finger lands on a random word. I post whatever I want, as long as it includes that word … no matter how random it may be.
Today’s random word: EUPHEMISM. A mild or indirect expression or word(s) used as substitution for one considered to be too harsh, blunt, offensive or embarrassing. A pleasant way of saying something…
Hmmmm, so how can I say this nicely? I’m trying to be polite! I’m trying to be courteous!
Sometimes euphemisms are appropriate, given the situation. There’s a time and a place (and expressions/wording) for everything… unless you are like a bunch of people I know, including myself, who usually just come right out and say it.
- Let go (fired)
- Misspoke (lied)
- Exotic dancer (stripper)
- Passed away or transitioned (died)
- Between jobs (unemployed)
- Adult entertainment (porn)
- The birds and the bees or sleep with (sex)
- Lady of the night (prostitution)
- Big-boned (fat)
- Neutralize (kill)
- Put to sleep (euthanize)
- Pass gas (fart)
- Ladies room/Men’s room (bathroom)
- Stubbed her toe or expecting (pregnant)
- Down there (genitalia)
If you can think of any other examples, feel free to share in the comments.